So what do you do if Kitty gets into something he shouldn't... Here are some suggestions.
If your vet is open, you can call them. Typically, the person who answers their phone will be a vet tech who can provide some assistance and/or instruction. They may ask you to come in, possibly with a vomit or fecal sample. It may be helpful to find the source of the problem, if it was something kitty ate or bit kitty.
If you need to call pet poison control or animal poison control, you may need to pay for those services. Human poison control is funded by tax dollars, but the pet version is not. Calls typically run around $50-$60 per call. Follow up calls may be included in the original fee. My human has never used this service.
Some microchips include the option of some kind of Pet Poison Help with registration. The kind of chip that Parker has this option; the human has to check to see if it is active.
Some of the pet poison control centers:
- Pet Poison Helpline
- ASPCA Animal poison control center
- and the Pet Poison Help link mentioned in the previous paragraph
Animal behavior consultant Amy Shojai also has some pet first aid tips.